...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Shorts this week (Saunders & Boyle)


Sea Oak

WoW! What an interesting story. I have to say that I don't think I have read anything with as much harsh language as I have today. I have to agree with Heidi this story was nasty! There was a lot going on in it between the characters lives, the language and the aunt coming back to life I think I got lost in the message of the story. I do have to say that the story captivated me. I had to keep reading to see what was going to happen next. I don't know if that is the author's intention, but it happened. The characters and the setting also confused me.

I know that the story dealt with poverty, death, education and life. Near the end the aunt wanted for her family to have better that she had.

Chicxulub


This story was great. I have never lost a child, but heaven forbid it is were to happen I know that it would be like a Chicxulub on my universe. I like the comparison to losing a child to the asteroids coming to Earth.

My point? You’d better get down on your knees and pray to your gods, because each year this big spinning globe we ride intersects the orbits of some twenty million asteroids, at least a thousand of which are more than half a mile in diameter.
But my daughter. She’s out there in the dark and the rain, walking home. Maureen and I bought her a car, a Honda Civic, the safest thing on four wheels, but the car was used—pre-owned, in dealerspeak—and as it happens it’s in the shop with transmission problems and, because she just had to see her friends and gossip and giggle and balance slick multicolored clumps of raw fish and pickled ginger on conjoined chopsticks at the mall, Kimberly picked her up and Kimberly will bring her home.

You pray for everything to be alright. You provide the safest materials, yet you have no control of what happens. We must believe in our God to provide our family a safe stay here and be tankful for the time we have with them.

CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment