...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

* Updated-Levine, Ashbery & Rich

Levine

These poems by Levine were very interesting to me. I thought that the style and titles were twisted just enough to make me say "huh". I noticed an animal theme throughout Levine's work. It was not until researching him did I find that the poems were written to reflect the time period.
"They Feed They Lion" was a unique poem. Not until I read it aloud and found a video reading of it did I realize how angry and powerful it was.
Ashbery

"Street Musicians" made me picture vaious cities and places I have seen street musicains. From New Orleans, New York City, Washington D.C., Los Angles to Paris I was immeadiatly drawn back to the people I saw. Not knowing their story or there name, but hearing their music there life. This poem made me reflect on these people, and the reason they are playing. Is it for fun? Their only source of income?

It also reminded me of an article, about street musicains and how you never know they may be a famous musican.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/AR2007040401721.html

Rich

Another poet from this week using animals! I liked the way that power was written. This poem was unique. This poem was very real feeling for me. -Judith McDaniel

In her two most recent books Adrienne Rich explores the potential for women's power. . . . The complexities of this power are inherent in the story of Marie Curie, who discovered the vital properties of uranium, and who died from radiation poisoning, "denying / her wounds came from the same source as her power." Marie Curie did not know--literally--how to handle power. Once again Rich's poetic image--the woman holding in her "suppurating" fingers the test tube of uranium, source of energy and death--unites the abstract and political difficulties of power.

I liked reading these poems and seeing women being addressed in them.

All in all good week of poetry!
CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment