...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Monday, February 22, 2010

Louise Gluck



Gluck's poems seemed to infuse human voice and mythology. I got a strong sense that the poems were about wanting to be with the ones you love. Time was meant to be spent with the ones you loved. No matter how long you had to wait to be with them you waited.

In "Penelope's Song " Penelope wanted to be with her lover.
Wait at the top, attentive, like
A sentry or look-out. He will be home soon;
It behooves you to be
Generous.

In "Quite Evenings"
They are together, and she hopes they will stay together.

from this point on, the silence through which you move
is my voice pursuing you.

I'm not sure if I am on the right track with this hunch. I did like Gluck's style. I need to refresh my Greek! The fusion was nice.

CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment