...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Gwendolyn Brooks


Here again another new poet to me! Brook's poems showed violence that the African Americans faced in America. The Boy Died in My Ally, tells not only of one boy who died, but the countless others who were put into similar situations. The opening speaks of shootings, death and the speaking with witnesses. The witness states that they have heard the shots a thousand times. Nothing has been done for these boys., nothing has changed over time. The details are all the same.
Brooks makes me picture the witness thinking back to the past times an instant that has happened either in her "ally" or elsewhere in the world. I also sense a longing to have some way helped these boys/people. She feels because she did nothing to help them, it inadvertently added to their death. She has always heard the cries for help, but done nothing.

Brooks poems were an easy read. They were very much song like.

I felt that I had to write. Even if I had never been published, I knew that I would go on writing, enjoying it and experiencing the challenge.
Gwendolyn Brooks

I've always thought of myself as a reporter.
Gwendolyn Brooks

Look at what's happening in this world. Every day there's something exciting or disturbing to write about. With all that's going on, how could I stop?
Gwendolyn Brooks

I can not wait for discussion on Brooks poems!

CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment