...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Short Stories

Welty & Olsen

I Stand Here Ironing


This short showed to me the drive of an single parent. Her child left in the shadows of everything else in her life. The mother daughter relationship seemed distance but also close. The daughter had problems stemmed from this relationship that interferred with her own life. She had problems with her other siblings, health and emotions. The mother seems to know that all of these trails will make her daughter into a "complete" woman someday. With each wrinkle in her life she will be a better woman. "... she is more than helpless than this dress on the ironing board, helpless before the iron." All things will smooth out in time.

I truly liked this story. It was an easy read. Like I have mentioned before I could see this story turned into a Lifetime Friday night special. It is timeless!


Why I Live at the P.O.

The title of this showed that the reader would find out why they live at the P.O. After reading the short you see that "Sister" is completely against her family members. Her family doesn't care much for her either, they are more tied up on her sisters return. "Sister" had been through a lot with her sister running off with her man, to her return with a child. With problems in the family on the rise "Sister" sets herself free from her family as she takes her stuff from the house to the back room at the post office. Finally free from her family.

This short was hard to fallow at times. I'm assuming it is a monologue (but could be wrong). I think I would have to read more of Welty's to know if I like her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment