...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Monday, February 22, 2010

Adrian C. Louis

I am really enjoying the poems by this culture. I do not think I have had a good exposure to the background of Native Americans. Issues from other culture seem to make there way into the media. As far as the battle over land I do not know a lot about the troubles Native Americans face today. Through these poems by Louis I have been able to see more of a "history" of the Native American life. His poems are eye opening.

After doing some background digging on Louis, I am honored to be among a journalist like Louis. I think that not only is he a good poet (from what I have read), but also a leader. It is a great accomplishment for someone to co-found the Native American Journalists Association. Being a journalist myself, I would love to meet with him and speak about his experiences as a writer, teacher and journalist.


Shedding Skins: Four Sioux Poets

Edited by

Adrian C. Louis

To be Indian is not to be a savior for white people.
To be Indian in a city is not tragic.
And now you ask me where I am from.
I understand your question,
but will answer it with, "Next question."
Alive in America is all we are.
Let's leave it at that.
—From "The Question," by Trevino L. Brings Plenty



Here's the myth: Native Americans are people of great spiritual depth, in touch with the rhythms of the earth, rhythms that they celebrate through drumming and dancing. They love the great outdoors and are completely in tune with the natural world. They can predict the weather by glancing at the sky, or hearing a crow cry, or
somehow. Who knows exactly how? The point of the myth is that Indians are, well, special. Different from white people, but in a good way.


This was taken from Louis' work Shedding Skins: Four Sioux Poets. It is a powerful message from the poet to the reader.

CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment