...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Monday, January 18, 2010

A Rose for Emily





http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/ARP/ARP124/rr_so_plantation.jpg
By: William Faulkner

With every word that zoomed across my eyes, an image projected in the back of my mind like a tiny film being played just for me. I think that is what William Faulkner ultimately wanted his reader to be able to imagine with his story of Miss Emily. I could see Emily's home, belongings, the people of the town and even even Emily herself. I love the line "... Her eyes, lost in the fatty ridges of her face, looked like two small pieces of coal pressed into lumps of dough as they moved from one face to another..."

As I continued to read, I got a sense that Emily was alone in her town and home. She did have family in Alabama, a hand servant and Mr. Homer. However, these could not fill the empty space within her. After Homer went away and then returned I do feel that he was the recipient of the arsenic. I do not know the underlining circumstance of him receiving it, since the happenings of the inside of the home were not mentioned. I do have a strong feeling that the arsenic was not for rats, unless he himself were a "rat".

If it were not for the snood people in the town wanting to see a dead women's house we may have not known that it were Mr. Barron in the upstairs. Finding the grey hair in the pillow next to him either lets me know that Miss Emily would visit him, or she was there when he passed.

All in all, I feel that "A Rose for Emily" was truly an intriguing short story!
CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment