...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Hughes

These poems by Hughes showed emotion! "Negro" showed Hughes pride in his ancestry. The style of Hughes in the poem was very different than the poems of Johnson. This poem seemed chopping, whereas Johnson's' were smooth. This poem is also rooted in spiritual ties.
I've been a singer;
All the way from Africa to Georgia
I carried my sorrow songs.
I made ragtime.

Then reminds puts a vision in my head of gospel songs being sung, then of music from the ragtime era.

Park Bench

This poem made me think "I'll show you!" The character in my mind seems to be waving his finger at the rich and greedy, and stating "That I might, just maybe,/In a year or two,/ Move on over/ To Park Avenue/ as the people walk by. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pMg7BOoi2A

Great reading of Negro Speaks of Rivers!

No comments:

Post a Comment