...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Enlightened by poems

I have to admitt that a book of poems is not what I grab first off the shelves. I can honestly say that I have really only read poems in high school and if any were assigned during undergrad I do not remember them. I hope this book of Modern American Poetry will open my eyes to new poems and poets. I need to retain some aspect of poetry to be more diversed in my readings and teachings. Who knows I may find my favorite poet or poem!
So here we go...


Robert Frost

In the poems assigned I saw a string of similarities that they were all entangled with some aspect of nature. The poems that stuck out the most with me was Gathering Leaves & Neither Out Far Nor In Deep.

In Gathering Leaves, the poem really spoke to me as a collection of thoughts or memories that a person may carry with them over time. These thought/memories do not have to be heavy or light. Some people may know that they are there, some may feel there retibrutions during the day. These feelings bottled up may rise and fall over, but we must never let them completly take over. We may keep these feelings bottled up, because "whose to say where the harves shall stop." I liked this poem for its refrences and enlightenment.

Neither Out Far Nor In Deep, I think I liked for its refrences to the ocean. People rather set sail to forget about problems that may lie on land. I see this true with people who take to the ocean for pleasure. They are excaping their lives to see what the ocean has in store for them. The ocean however does not hold all of the answer they are looking for. The tide always rolls in and so will the people. Back to reality. They may have looked to the far distances and the depths of the ocean, but responses were not made availible.

After reading selections from Frost I am intrigued to venture farther into his work and read some more from him.
CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment