...welcome... sit back... relax... enjoy the words... share some words...

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

* Wright

So, this post is on "The Ethics of Living Jim Crow."

I thought this short story was a timeline in the life of Wright. I like the realistic language used in the story. The choice of words and use of quotations made the story very real for me. I could visualize setting in the South. From a young age he was taught to hate the white man, but as the story progresses he then ask the white man for help in checking out books. I see this a a progression for both races coming together to help each other. Even though the time period was not as a race coming together, it was nice to see that there were people willing to over come stereo type.

For example, it was almost impossible to get a book to read. It was assumed that after a Negro had imbibed what scanty schooling the state furnished he had no further need for books. I was always borrowing books from men on the job. One day I mustered enough courage to ask one of the men to let me get books from the library in his name. Surprisingly, he consented. I cannot help but think that he consented because he was a Roman Catholic and felt a vague sympathy for Negroes, being himself an object of hatred. Armed with a library card, I obtained books in the following manner: I would write a note to the librarian, saying: "Please let this nigger boy have the following books." I would then sign it with the white man's name.

I found 2 websites that have information on Jim Crow and lesson plans.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/jimcrow/education_activity_one_ste.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Crow Gateway

(About website) Explore teacher and student evaluated Web sites on a wide variety of topics pertaining to Jim Crow history and literature. The sites on this gateway have been recommended for their quality and resource value to teachers and students.
* This site also has external links related to authors we have discussed this semester.
Literature Resources
Ralph Ellison
Ernest Gaines
Langston Hughes
Zora Neale Hurston
Harper Lee
Toni Morrison
Alice Walker
August Wilson
Richard Wright
http://www.jimcrowhistory.org/resources/gateway.htm

I hope these help you in your teaching adventure!
CJ

No comments:

Post a Comment